A health warning for New Yorkers: reconsider your grill cleaning methods.

98.1 The Hawk logo
Get our free mobile app

Health experts are warning against the use of wire bristle brushes, commonly used for cleaning grills. The reason? These seemingly harmless brushes can cause serious health problems when wire bristles break off and find their way into food.

Accidental ingestion of wire bristles has become a growing concern not only in New York but across the country. This is not just a rumor or a hoax, either. There have been documented cases of people unknowingly swallowing these tiny metal pieces while consuming food cooked on a grill. The consequences of ingesting wire bristles can be severe, ranging from internal injuries to surgery and hospitalization.

Why is it that wire bristles pose such big dangers? When grillers use wire brushes to clean their grates, the bristles can become dislodged and adhere to the grill's surface. The bristles are virtually invisible to the naked eye and can easily detach and end up on your burgers, chicken, or vegetables without you even realizing it.

The last thing anyone wants is a trip to the emergency room due to a hidden wire bristle in their meal. So, to avoid such risks, health experts strongly recommend exploring safer alternatives. One alternative is a nylon grill brush with a scraper attachment. These brushes are designed to be durable and effective while eliminating the risk of wire bristles contaminating your food. Another option is bristle-free grill brushes, which have become increasingly popular as a safe and efficient cleaning solution.

Four Super Important Grilling Safety Tips

How To Grill Like a Pro Even When You Have No Idea What You’re Doing


More From 98.1 The Hawk