Best Foods to Eat Before and After Working Out
For many, working out can be a chore. I find if you schedule it in to your day like anything else, it makes it easier to not make excuses. Some of the reasons why people "fall hard" after a workout, is they don't give themselves proper nutrition. I always say, you can't run a car on no fuel or bad fuel; it's the same for a workout. Eat and eat right.
Depending on what time of day you work out, you should fuel your workout with the good stuff.
As far as snacks go, here are some of my favorite pre-workout snacks:
- Oats and eggs (hard boiled is the quickest to grab and I like mine with balsamic vinegar to mix it up a bit!). Make old fashioned oats up in advance and freeze in a cupcake tin to make oat ice portions that are perfect and quick to throw in the microwave the next day.
- Yogurt Parfait (with lots of fresh or canned fruit)
- Fruit cup (easy to grab)
- Protein bar (compare and select the lowest sugar content but stay away from sugar-free
Post-workout snacks and meals:
- Apples and cheese - they taste great together and will help fuel your muscles after a workout
- Nuts with (unsalted or low salt) peanuts and almonds tops
- Celery with peanut butter - my all-time favorite!
- Tuna on crackers
- Salmon, lean beef or a chicken salad. Stay away from fried foods.
- Protein bar or shake. Chocolate milk works almost as good and cheaper!
- Bagel with egg whites
- Cereal with whole grain cereal
These are perfect choices for before and after the Hot Cross Run coming to Binghamton Saturday June 18th at 10am. The day includes a 15 minute Hot Yoga session, 15 minute Crossfit routine, and a two-mile run — the first of it’s kind in the Greater Binghamton area! To find out more and to register click HERE.