Traci Taylor’s Almost World Famous Corned Beef and Cabbage [RECIPE]
We’re a just over a week away from St. Patrick’s Day, but I’ve already had a lot of people ask for my recipe for corned beef and cabbage. While my recipe is nothing inventive, it is my favorite way to make this meal. I’m a big fan of putting things together in a slow cooker, setting it and forgetting about it until dinner time. That’s exactly how this recipe works!
- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet- size is up to you. I love to find the biggest cut of corned beef that I can, but with prices as expensive as they are, I’m going with a smaller brisket this year.
- 10 to 12 small baby red potatoes, washed, but leave the skins on because that’s the most healthy part!
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 5 large carrots washed and chopped
- ½ head of cabbage roughly chopped
- 6oz Guinness beer
- Place the carrots, potatoes and onion into the bottom of a slow cooker and then place corned beef on top of the veggies and pour the beer over the beef. Sprinkle the packet of spices on top of the brisket. If you like your corned beef a little more on the spicy side, add extra spice.*
- Put the cabbage on top of the brisket (this is important because if you put it on the bottom it has a good chance of burning and you don’t want that to happen, trust me on this). Cover and cook for 8-10 hours on low.
*If you buy a corned beef brisket and it doesn’t come with a packet of spices, don’t worry! Just pick up a jar of pickling spice and add 1-2 teaspoons before cooking your brisket.
*If you like a more seasoned brisket you can add extra pickling spice in addition to the seasoning packet, too.