Nearly Famous Irishmen
Parade Day is this Saturday, March 4th in downtown Binghamton at 1:30 pm. The “controversy” this year is whether or not we should have it this weekend because Binghamton University is having it’s early mid-semester.
The students would like to have it move but the big problem is we can’t. So, why is it always 2 weeks before St. Patrick’s Day? You’ll find out at the end.
This year’s theme is “Irish Pride” and in honor of the occasion, we have nearly famous Irishmen, see how many you know. Hint: All the names begin with ‘O’.
The answers will be at the bottom. Good luck!
5) He invented the chocolate sandwich cookie.
4) He immortalized a Christmas song about a tree than many think to be German.
3) First Irish doctor to specialize in women’s problems and deliver babies.
2) He’s a Irishman who always speaks his mind.
1) He created a heavy winter garment you wear to cover all your other garments.
Answers: 5) O’Reo 4) O’Tannenbaum 3) O’Beegeewyin 2) O’Pinion 1) O’Vercoat
Okay, why do we have the parade 2 weeks before St. Patrick’s Day? I’m told it’s because that’s when we can get the Mummers in town.
Local businesses like it too because it gives them extra business for Saturday and again in 2 weeks. See you at the parade.