Nearly Famous Irishmen
Parade Day is this Saturday, March 3rd in downtown Binghamton beginning at 1:30pm. If you're looking for a place to party afterwards that helps a good cause, the Endicott Firefighters Emerald Society is having their party to benefit local firefighters and the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Find out more about this event here.
The biggest question I get every year is "Why is our St. Patrick's Day parade 2 weeks before St. Patrick's Day?" You'll find out at the end.
In honor of the parade, I have nearly famous Irishmen, see how many you know. Hint: All the names begin with 'O'.
The answers will be at the bottom. Good luck!
5) He invented the chocolate sandwich cookie.
4) He immortalized a Christmas song about a tree than many think to be German.
3) First Irish doctor to specialize in women's problems and deliver babies.
2) He's a Irishman who always speaks his mind.
1) He created a heavy winter garment you wear to cover all your other garments.
Answers: 5) O'Reo 4) O'Tannenbaum 3) O'Beegeewyin 2) O'Pinion 1) O'Vercoat
Okay, why do we have the parade 2 weeks before St. Patrick's Day? I'm told it's because that's when we can get the Mummers in town.
Local businesses like it too because it gives them extra business for Saturday and again in 2 weeks. See you at the parade.
[via Mummers Parade]