High Gas Prices Might Be Good For New York
Gas prices continue to rise to unprecedented levels across the country, and while most people are right to think that is a very bad thing, there could be some good news when it comes to higher gas prices.
Drive Home With Dave Fields Every Afternoon from 3-7pm on 106.5 WYRK
Let's call this the "Silver Lining" of high gas prices. Here are some good things that could come from above $4 per gallon prices.
1. Local Businesses Could Benefit - As gas prices continue to rise, people are not going to want to drive around all over to get what they want or need. This could help local businesses in the areas where people live. Instead of that trip 15 minutes away to the big box store, people might opt to shop at the local store that is within walking distance or just a 5-minute trip. These local businesses might get customers they wouldn't have gotten before.
2. More People Will Be Able To Work From Home - We learned that during the pandemic most people could do their job at home. After mandates and positive cases have dropped, more people had to return to the office, even if they didn't want to. Now they can use the cost of gas as a valid reason to continue to work from home.
3. More Time With Family and Friends - Instead of driving places or spending the weekend on a road trip, higher gas prices keep people at home and in their own neighborhood. That means more time to spend with family and friends. Not wanting to drive all over town might cause some people to stay home and hang more with their core group of family and friends.
4. People Can Get Healthier - Not wanting to drive and waste gas, more people might be in the mood to walk to ride a bike to get around. The additional exercise will keep people healthier and might also help create healthy habits.
5. Alternative Ways To Get Around - Nessicaliy is always a great source of invention. higher gas prices could push engineers to come up with more and better alternatives to gas-powered machines. More electric cars and motors, bikes that are better, better designed of shoes. The sky is the limit to ingenuity when people are forced to face a problem head-on.