Everything You Need To Know About Binghamton Area Carousels
Binghamton carousels were a gift to the residents of the Greater Binghamton area by shoe manufacturer George F. Johnson at the height of prosperity in the Twin Tiers. With fewer than 150 of these carousels remaining in the United States and Canada, it's amazing that we have six of these historic icons right here in the Binghamton area.
In this day and age, it's unheard of that there is never a cost for a ride. Because Johnson grew up poor, the agreement was that there would never be a charge for a ride on a Binghamton area carousel, but it's strongly encouraged you bring in a piece of trash to help clean up the parks.
In the last couple of years, many of the six carousels have gone through costly restoration with the carousel at Binghamton Zoo at Ross Park the next to make that move.
So when do the carousels open for the season? Memorial Day weekend is the official season opening for all these beauties. Here's a list of when you can take that ride on one of our amazing Binghamton area carousels, using the most up-to-date information available from GoBroomeCounty:
- C. Fred Johnson Park, 98 C.F.J Blvd., Johnson City - Open Memorial Day weekend thru mid-June, Monday through Friday 4pm-8pm and weekends noon-8pm. (607) 797-3031
- George W. Johnson Park, 201 Oak Hill Ave., Endicott - Open daily Memorial Day through Labor Day, 10am-5pm and 6pm-8pm. (607)757-0856
- Highland Park, 801 Hooper Road, Endwell - Open noon-7:45pm (weekends only) Memorial Day through mid-June, then daily through Labor Day. (607) 786-2970
- Recreation Park, 57-78 Beethoven Street, Binghamton - Open Memorial Day weekend through mid-June, Monday through Friday 3pm-7:45pm and weekends noon-7:45pm; mid June through Labor Day open daily noon-7:45pm. (607) 722-9166
- Binghamton Zoo at Ross Park, 60 Morgan Road, Binghamton - Open Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day 11am-5pm. (607) 772-7017
- West Endicott Park, 501 Maple Street at Page Avenue, Endicott - Open Noon-7:45pm (weekends only) Memorial Day through mid June, then open daily through Labor Day. (607) 786-2070