Dozens of shoppers and employees were directed to leave the Boscov's department store in downtown Binghamton due to a smoke condition.

City firefighters responded to the four-story building at Court and Water streets shortly before 12:15 p.m. Tuesday.

A Boscov's worker said he detected the odor of something electrical that may have been burning.

Boscovs employees gathered on Water Street after smoke was reported inside the store on September 13, 2022. Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News
Boscov's employees gathered on Water Street after smoke was reported inside the store on September 13, 2022. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)
loading...

Firefighters initially were directed to the third floor for a smoke condition on the northern end of the building.

Assistant fire chief Gerald Madden said it took some time to pinpoint the source of the problem. He said the trouble was traced to an overheated air handling unit. He said power to the unit was shut off and no damage was discovered.

Police and fire units at Boscovs department store on September 13, 2022. Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News
Police and fire units at Boscov's department store on September 13, 2022. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)
loading...

Madden said there was no need for ventilation because whatever smoke may have been generated by the unit had cleared up by the time firefighters located the source.

Workers and customers reentered the store around 12:50 p.m. Fire department units cleared the scene 20 minutes later.

Enter your number to get our free mobile app

Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: bob@wnbf.com or (607) 545-2250. For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.

SEE: 30 Toys That Defined the '70s

KEEP READING: Scroll to see what the big headlines were the year you were born

Here's a look at the headlines that captured the moment, spread the word, and helped shape public opinion over the last 100 years.

The 100 Best Places to Live in the Midwest

 

More From 98.1 The Hawk