Smoke Prompts Evacuation of Binghamton Boscov’s Store
Dozens of shoppers and employees were directed to leave the Boscov's department store in downtown Binghamton due to a smoke condition.
City firefighters responded to the four-story building at Court and Water streets shortly before 12:15 p.m. Tuesday.
A Boscov's worker said he detected the odor of something electrical that may have been burning.
Firefighters initially were directed to the third floor for a smoke condition on the northern end of the building.
Assistant fire chief Gerald Madden said it took some time to pinpoint the source of the problem. He said the trouble was traced to an overheated air handling unit. He said power to the unit was shut off and no damage was discovered.
Madden said there was no need for ventilation because whatever smoke may have been generated by the unit had cleared up by the time firefighters located the source.
Workers and customers reentered the store around 12:50 p.m. Fire department units cleared the scene 20 minutes later.
SEE: 30 Toys That Defined the '70s
KEEP READING: Scroll to see what the big headlines were the year you were born
The 100 Best Places to Live in the Midwest