New York is clearing the way for some public performances that have been banned for nearly a year because of the coronavirus pandemic to take the stage again.

Kathy Whyte/ WNBF News

Governor Andrew Cuomo announced March 3 that arts and entertainment venues will be allowed to welcome up to 100 people indoors and up to 200 people outdoors starting April 2. That increase won’t be enough to open closed Broadway theaters but could allow some small plays and concerts to resume. Limits would be slightly higher if venues can implement a system in which attendees show proof of a recent, negative COVID-19 test.

Jason Garnar says the change is good news for Broome County sports and entertainment venues that have been closed for almost a year. The state had earlier allowed audiences back in to large venues, mainly downstate.

Get our free mobile app

The number of people being allowed to gather at private events is also being increased. Budget Director Rob Mujica says the indoor limit for residential gatherings remains the same but the outdoor limit goes from 10 to 25.

The limit for public spaces goes from 50 to 100 indoors and from 50 to 200 for outdoor spaces.  All gatherings still require social distancing and that people wear masks.

Remember When Ringo Star Rocked Binghamton?