Broome County Executive Jason Garnar has renewed his criticism of New York City's initiative that sends homeless families to the Binghamton area and elsewhere.

Garnar early last year called on the Big Apple to put an end to the Special One-Time Assistance Program that paid the homeless rent money for one year to move elsewhere.

Read More: Broome County to NYC - Stop Sending Your Homeless to Us

Garnar Thursday indicated he was unhappy that New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio had not shut down the relocation effort.

Speaking on WNBF Radio's Binghamton Now program, the county executive said the city's program essentially advised the homeless "we'll give you money if you just get out of here."

Garnar said when the money runs out, the relative newcomers "all of a sudden they become the responsibility of Broome County."

The county executive said the program is "immoral" and "wrong." He said "every legal option" is being explored in an effort to stop New York City from sending homeless families to the Binghamton area.

Garnar said: "It's a shameful program. What Bill de Blasio should be doing is working to get those people jobs and working to get people who are homeless homes."

Garnar said de Blasio "shouldn't be trying to figure out how to incentivize just getting them out of his city and letting them be the responsibility of somebody else." He said "it's wrong."

Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: bob@wnbf.com

For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.