5 Things You Can Do For a Veteran Today
The first Veterans Day was 62 years ago on this November 11th we celebrate it with Veterans all over the country. Before it was Veterans Day, it was known as Armistice Day to mark the end of World War 1. According to Wikipedia, formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day on the 11th month of 1918.
Veterans Day is more than a day off from school or work, it should be day to remember and celebrate with a soldier or member of the service. These are the people that have made our country the great nation that it is today. Without their service, it certainly would be a very different country.
So if you are looking for something to do to honor a Veteran this Friday, here are a few things you might want to consider.
- Attend a local parade. Many of the towns and villages are holding special Veterans Day parades November 11. The City of Binghamton will honor Veterans with a parade scheduled for 2 p.m. on November 11. The Parade will start from the American Legion on Main Street in the city and will commence in front of the Floyd L Maines Memorial Arena in downtown Binghamton.
- Deliver a care package to a Veteran or take a Veteran out to lunch or dinner. There are a number of great retailers and restaurants offering free lunch and dinners off their menu on November 11. Click HERE for the most current list.
- Offer your home improvement know-how to a Veteran. This will be something he or she will never forget.
- Visit a wounded Veteran in the hospital or a Veteran in a local nursing home and listen to their stories of sacrifice. Take your little ones with you as this will be something they will never forget.
- Pick up the phone and say thank you to the Veterans you know in your life. Not quite as effective as a personal visit but it sure beats a Facebook post or email.