National Jelly Bean Day [GLENN REACTS]
Everyone knows that today is “Earth Day.” Did you know that it’s also “National Jelly Bean Day?” Historians aren’t sure when or why it’s today. I think it’s because it’s a great way to get rid of the leftover jelly beans from Easter. Here’s some jelly bean thoughts.
5) The jelly bean goes back to the 1860’s. The jars of tasty treats were promoted as morale boosters for army troops fighting in the Civil War.
4) The egg shaped jelly bean seems like a natural for the Easter basket. It wasn’t until the 1930’s when jelly beans became a permanent part of the Easter tradition.
3) Jelly beans were originally made from sugar and artificial flavors. In the 1980’s a revolution in jelly bean varieties exploded with the introduction of “Jelly Belly” jelly beans.
2) President Ronald Reagan was known for his love of Jelly Belly jelly beans. He always had a jar of them on his desk in the Oval Office. His favorite flavor was licorice.
1) President Reagan later became responsible for launching the very first jelly beans into space. He sent a jar to the 1983 Challenger crew as a surprise for the astronauts.
So Happy Jelly Bean Day. If someone gives you a hard today for eating handfuls and handfuls of jelly beans today, just tell them that you’re celebrating this special day.