In spite of an annual ban on open burning in New York State that went into place two weeks ago, officials are blaming burning debris near a barn for a fire in Vestal that damaged the structure.

Bob Joseph/WNBF News

Part of Mason Road was closed for over three hours after the fire was reported at around 2:30 p.m. March 28.

Authorities say there were no injuries.

The owners of the property were apparently burning some debris when the fire spread to the nearby building.  Officials say they issued the residents a warning but no charges were placed.

Meanwhile, the New York State Department of Conservation has written up a Cincinnatus property owner for a smoky blaze that spread from a burn pile into surrounding brush on March 26.

That fire on Staley Road reportedly started with several bags of household waste left burning unattended in a burn pit.  The flames spread to tires covering silage and then into a pasture.

The property owner is charged with setting fire on or near forest land, leaving fire unattended, disposing of waste other than authorized by the DEC and an unlawful open fire.

New York’s ban on open burning goes until May 14 as a way to control springtime brush and grass fires. There is a year-round ban on burning garbage.