These Dog Treats Found in New York Are Hazardous to Your Health
Remember the recent shocking story about the guy whose hands and legs were amputated due to his dog's saliva? Well, we've got more bad news along those lines, although it's not nearly as severe.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta has issued a warning about pig ear dog treats. They could lead to salmonella infections for you and your family. The CDC's recent investigation reported a salmonella outbreak linked to pig ear dog treats in 13 states, though a single common supplier of the treats has yet to be identified.
In Michigan, one of the states affected by the outbreak, the Department of Agriculture tested pig ear treats from the retailers where sick dog owners reported buying the treats. As a precaution, certain retailers there and in other states have removed all pig ear treats from the shelves.
Some of those affected have been hospitalized. The outbreaks have also been reported in California, North Dakota, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, New York and Massachusetts.
Symptoms include diarrhea, fever, stomach cramps, nausea and vomiting.
Remain safe by always washing your hands after handling any of your pet’s food products or toys. And the CDC urges: don’t let your dog lick your mouth or face just after eating, and wash immediately if your dog does lick you after eating.