New York Child Accidentally Consumes Cannabis in Halloween Candy
According to a report by Louis Casiano of Fox News, a five-year-old New York boy was taken to the hospital for treatment after accidentally consuming cannabis-infused gummies he got while trick-or-treating.
According to the report, the Suffolk County boy was treated and released from Long Island Community Hospital on Tuesday after eating cannabis-infused gummies out of a package marked as Starburst gummies. To an adult, the packaging makes it extremely clear that the gummies inside are not child-friendly. But to a five-year-old speeding his way through hundreds of tiny candies before his parents take away the bag, there's just no way he could have known that they weren't regular old Starburst candies.
If you're kids are like me when I was younger, it's probably already too late to check their Halloween candy for things that shouldn't be there. And while instances of kids being given illicit drugs in their trick-or-treating bags is exceedingly rare, this is a reminder that it costs nothing but time and energy to check your child's Halloween haul to make sure everything in the bag is actually meant for children. The odds are that every year when you check, you'll find nothing but reasons your dentist drives such a nice car. But taking the extra time to do that check could prevent a scary situation like the one this five-year-old went through.
Authorities told Fox News that they believed this to be an isolated incident and it is not known whether the deceptive candy was given out on purpose or accidentally.