UPDATE: According to the Binghamton Police Department, 45-year-old Peter J. Bennedum died Tuesday, May 5, at a local hospital after spending over a week in critical condition.

________________________________________________

A GoFundMe created by Dianne Galliher has identified the victim of a violent assault earlier this week in Binghamton as her son, Peter Bennedum.

In her message, Galliher says Peter was attacked Monday night by a group who allegedly targeted him because he was homeless, with the intent of recording and sharing the assault on social media. She described her son as a kind person who, despite his struggles, always tried to help others.

The family says they are devastated and asking for support as they navigate this incredibly difficult time.

Police Say Victim Remains in Critical Condition

According to a press release from the Binghamton Police Department, officers responded late Monday night to the area of Carroll and Henry Streets for a report of an unconscious man on the sidewalk.

READ MORE: FL Man Sentenced After Traveling to Upstate NY to Meet a Child for Sex

Investigators say the 45-year-old man was assaulted earlier that evening by a group of five youths while walking alone. He was punched and kicked during the attack and later collapsed from his injuries.

Authorities confirmed the victim remains hospitalized in critical condition with serious injuries to his head and body.

Investigators Link Assault to Social Media Trend

Police say the attack appears to have been targeted, though the victim and suspects were not known to each other.

The investigation revealed the assault may have been connected to a disturbing social media trend involving recording attacks on vulnerable individuals, including those experiencing homelessness, for online posts.

That detail has sparked outrage and concern across the community.

Five Teens Identified, Four Charged

Investigators say five teenage suspects were identified within a day of the attack.

Four juveniles, ages 14 and 15, have been charged with second-degree attempted murder. They were arraigned and remanded to a secure juvenile detention facility.

A fifth suspect, age 13, has been released to a guardian, though police say charges are expected as the investigation continues.

Community Support Grows for the Family

Despite widespread social media speculation, authorities have only confirmed that the victim remains in critical condition. However, the wording in the GoFundMe indicates the family is bracing for a difficult outcome.

The GoFundMe created on Thursday quickly reached its initial $12,000 goal and has since surpassed $14,000.

According to the fundraiser, donations will help cover funeral-related and emergency expenses, including transportation, service costs, and other unexpected financial burdens. The family says the support has meant more than words can express.

Galliher also highlighted the risks faced by people without stable housing, saying her son’s situation is a painful reminder of how vulnerable some members of the community can be.

Mayor Calls Attack "Heinous Act of Violence"

Jared Kraham addressed the incident publicly, calling it “a heinous act of violence.”

He praised investigators for quickly identifying those involved and made it clear that violence, especially acts fueled by social media, will not be tolerated.

The mayor added that the city stands with the victim and his family as the case moves forward.

How to Help the Family

Those who would like to support Peter Bennedum and his family can contribute to the GoFundMe created in his name. Sharing the fundraiser is another way to help during this difficult time.

Police say the investigation is ongoing and ask anyone with additional information to contact the Binghamton Police Detective Bureau.

18 Jobs a Person Under 18 Is Forbidden From Doing in New York State

According to the state of New York, there are 18 jobs that anyone under the age of 18 is forbidden from doing in the state. These are those jobs.

Gallery Credit: Traci Taylor

New York’s Most Wanted: The Fugitives Who’ve Eluded Capture for Decades

Take a closer look at the individuals New York investigators are still searching for. Some of these cases have been open for decades, and even the smallest tip could make all the difference.

Gallery Credit: Traci Taylor

More From 98.1 The Hawk