Men Accused of Leaving Grandmother to Die in Burning Home
Authorities in Steuben County say two men have been charged with murder after they allegedly removed meth-making equipment from a burning home and left their grandmother inside.
Justin Gause and Jarrett Gause have been indicted in connection with the May 14 fire on Townsend Avenue in Corning. 82-year-old Gladys Ann Willow died as a result of the blaze.
In addition to second-degree murder counts, the men face several counts of reckless endangerment in the case.
District Attorney Brooks Baker said the brothers are believed to have taken equipment used to produce methamphetamine from the house after the fire broke out.
Baker said the brothers knowingly left their grandmother inside the burning house. He said they did not report the fire.
The district attorney said there is a recording of Willow's 911 call seeking help. He said it was difficult to listen to the recording, which included the woman's frantic screams followed by periods of silence.
Brooks said "you don't hear somebody's last words often."
The district attorney said while firefighters were still battling the blaze, Willow's grandsons went to a nearby store to buy cigarettes.
The district attorney said "it's a sad, tragic case."
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: firstname.lastname@example.org
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.