Twenty Things a Mom Should Tell Her Daughter
A couple of days ago I posted an article on Twenty Things a Mom Should Tell Her Son and you wanted to know if there was a list of things that every Mom should tell her daughter and there is! This list was adapted from adapted from 25 Things I Want My Daughter to Know from Mommy OM. You might not agree with each of the things on this list, but they'll definitely give you a starting point when trying to figure out how to talk to your daughter.
1. Smart is the new cool. Never be ashamed of being smart or nerdy, having freckles or glasses, or loving science and math. Smart never goes out of style, it stays with you as you grow, and it will lead you down the most successful paths.
2. No matter how many times you hear it, “Diamonds are NOT a girl’s best friend.” Friends are invaluable. They are trusting and loyal. They stick with you through good times and bad, happy or sad. Some will come and go, but your true friends will be with you always.
3. Go for it, get dirty! It’s good for you. Besides the fact that getting dirty actually does help support your immunity, it’s also a great way to express creativity! Sculpt, draw, and stomp. Better yet, go “classic” and make some mud pies.
4. Beat the boys at their own games. Football, baseball, hockey or golf, never let anyone tell you that you can’t do something because you’re a girl. So go ahead, build the tallest tower of legos, kick butt on Xbox, and bust out your light saber.
5. Be spiritual. Find the desire to understand the universe and your place in it. Take the time to notice the earth and all of its beauty. Give thanks to God.
6. A strong hand shake leaves a lasting impression. It represents self-confidence and ambition. A strong hand shake and eye contact exemplifies a mutual respect for one another and is a sign that you are friendly, trustworthy, and honest.
7. Read something every single day. From the Cat in the Hat and Dr. Seuss to Junie B Jones, reading is exercise for your brain. It expands knowledge and vocabulary- and lets your imagination run wild.
8. When it comes to wearing make-up, there’s a general rule of thumb that applies – LESS is MORE.
9. When it comes to fashion, shorter does not always equal better. Fashion trends come and go and not all of it is fabulous. Half tops and mini skirts are great for an 85 degree day at the beach or if you’re a Miami Dolphins cheerleader, but not for your high school yearbook photo.
10. Please, please, please do not allow yourself to become someone else’s property. Why this is trendy, I will never figure out. If you want to make a statement about yourself on clothing, at least let it describe an aspect of who YOU are.
11. Speaking of trends, I hope that by the time you are allowed to date, guys don’t wear their pants hanging half way down their ass like they do now. I really feel like this has been pretty popular for quite some time and I am praying that it finally goes away by 2022. Also, I will flip my lid if you become this guy’s property! (see #13)
12. Being an angel should not and does not mean wearing only your bra, underwear, and a set of wings for everyone to see.
13. Don’t let pop culture define you. I don’t know why, but today we let pop culture manipulate our youth and it’s killing them emotionally, spiritually, and intellectually. From the early on fascination with princesses, to the ‘need’ for a boyfriend and big boobs, popularity, teen moms, and all the other garbage being thrown in their face – be confident going against the grain.
14. Accept yourself for who you are. You’re one-of-a-kind and that’s what makes you beautiful. Tall, short, big, small, blonde, brunette, redhead, white, brown, blue, pink, yellow – we are all DIFFERENT.
15. Mainstream your health. It’s life’s greatest asset. A positive approach to health encompasses physical, mental, social, emotional, and spiritual well being. Healthy lifestyle choices in your youth will help lay a strong foundation for continued wellness throughout your adult life. Diet, exercise, stress management, chiropractic, self motivation, positiveness, and meditation, as well as a number of other approaches are guaranteed to make a huge impact on your quality of life, health, and happiness.
16. Have confidence in yourself. A positive self-image assures power, strength, ability, and value. It will enable you to conquer your goals and allow you to fearlessly pursue your biggest dreams.
17. Love with all your heart. For where there is love there is life. Love is universal and felt by all living things. So strong is the feeling of love that it is said it makes the world go round.
18. Never be afraid to laugh at yourself. Laughter is humbling. It inspires and motivates.
19. Wherever you are in life, you can come home. I will be here – always.
20. Enjoy the innocence of your childhood. In a world full of superficial values, peer pressure, and bullying, as well as a pop culture that pushes materialism and consumerism – you are being leapfrogged through your childhood. There is a constant pressure for you to grow up way too fast.