Traci Taylor’s Spiedie Marinade Recipe
As I’m sure you know by now, I wasn’t able to cook as part of the Spiedie Fest Celebrity Cook-Off because I was a little preoccupied in the Emergency Room, but I wanted to make sure to share my spiedie marinade recipe with you as I promised I would.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon paprika, 2 tablespoons if you like a kick
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3-4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Dice chicken breasts into cubes and give them a stab or two with a fork so that the marinade can really seep into the chicken.You don’t really have to worry about the size of the cubes being completely uniform or perfect cubes, but if you can keep them as close to the same size as possible, it’ll help them cook more evenly.
- Mix all of the other ingredients together to make the marinade.
- Add marinade and chicken together in a big covered container and refrigerate at least overnight if not longer- I usually let mine marinate for a couple of days, giving the container a good shake every day or so to make sure everything is getting even marinade coverage.
- When you’re ready to make your spiedies, thread a couple of cubes of chicken onto skewers (if you’re using wood skewers make sure to soak them in water before cooking or you could end up with a charred mess) and grill for a couple of minutes, turning occasionally. You won’t need to cook the chicken as long as if you didn’t marinate it. When you marinate the meat, the vinegar will partially cook the chicken.
- Serve on fresh Italian bread
You’ll have to give this a try and let me know what you think. My friends who tried the trial batch loved it and I thought it was pretty good too, but I’m completely open to suggestions on how to make it even better and maybe next year I’ll be able to participate and take home the crown for the Hawk!