Top 10 Reasons To Buy American in the Southern Tier [VIDEO]
I have many friends that own local businesses in the Southern Tier. From time to time they talk about how tough it is to compete with the big box stores that sometimes offer an inferior product for a couple of dollars less.
Local businesses usually do more research, will take the time to stock a better quality product but because they can’t buy in bulk like some of these stores, they can’t match the price. But so many people don’t realize that in the long run, they end of paying more as the product needs to be replaced.
I find it a challenge to look for items with the tag “Made In The USA.” But they’re out there and it seems like there is more and more out there.
According to the web site MadeInTheUSAForever.com, there are many reasons to buy American.
Here are the Top Ten Reasons to Buy USA Made Products:
10) Foreign labor standards allow unsafe worker conditions in many countries. When you buy American you support not only American manufacturers but also American workers, safe working conditions, and child labor laws.
9) Jobs shipped abroad almost never return. When you buy goods made in the USA, you help keep the American economy growing.
8) US manufacturing processes are much cleaner for the environment than many other countries; many brands sold here are produced in countries using dangerous, heavily polluting processes. When you purchase American-made product, you know that you’re helping to keep the world a little cleaner for your children.
7) Many countries have no minimum wage restrictions, or the minimum wage is outrageously low. When you choose products made in the USA, you contribute to the payment of an honest day’s wages for an honest day’s work.
6) The growing lack of USA ability to manufacture many products is strategically unsound. When you seek out American-made goods, you foster American independence.
5) The huge US trade deficit leads to massive, unsustainable borrowing from other countries. Debt isn’t good for you and it isn’t good for America.
4) Foreign product safety standards are low. For example, poisonous levels of lead are in tens of millions of toys shipped to the USA. When you buy toys and other goods made in the USA, you can be confident that American consumer protection laws and safety standards are in place to protect your family.
3) Lack of minimum wage, worker safety, or environmental pollution controls in many countries undermines the concept of “fair and free trade”. No Western nation can ultimately compete on price with a country willing to massively exploit and pollute its own people. When you buy only American-made products, you insist on a higher standard.
2) Factories and money are shifting to countries not friendly to the USA or democracy. When you avoid imported goods in favor of American-made items, you help ensure that the United States doesn’t find its access to vital goods impacted by political conflict.
1) As the US manufacturing ability fades, future generations of US citizens will be unable to find relevant jobs. Buy American and help keep your friends and neighbors-and even yourself-earning a living wage.
As Toby Keith says, look for “Made in America.”