How Technology Defines a Snow Day
Yesterday I blogged about what you could do during a snow day, but today I am actually having a snow day and thanks to today's technology we can be almost as productive at home.
My day started like every other day, I got up took a shower, got dressed, grabbed my car keys, walked off my front porch and stepped into a 2 foot snow drift.
I was still determined to barrel my SUV out of the driveway inspire of what looked like even bigger drifts heading towards the road.
My determination quickly diminished while I sat and spun the tires for a bit, and being a morning man for over 20 years I took pride in the fact that I never took a snow day.
The group Little Texas said 'There's a First Time For Everything' and they were right.
One thing I quickly figured out is a day away from the office in 2017 can be pretty productive.
- I fired off a few text messages and a distribution list e mail to let everyone know I would not be in.
- I can VPN into my work computer and get files and make changes right from home.
- I am writing this blog in my sweatpants with a cup of coffee while I sit in my home office.
- I am set up to receive voice mail messages from my office phone through my e mail
- I can even do audio for commercials and station imaging from my house.
Looking back at the big storm of 1993 I probably would have been watching the Quantum Leap episode I taped on my VHS recorder.
In conclusion I can say that based on my personal experience, the term 'Snow Day' has a whole new meaning in the year 2017.