My Favorite Annual Summer Events in Binghamton
Summer will bring many of the annual events in Greater Binghamton that we attend year after year, here are a few of my favorite annual events.
One of best parts about being a broadcaster on a local radio station is attending and promoting local events that bring our community together.
I have lived here most of my life and have probably attended many of the same events you have over the years
Looking back at several years of local activities, all great events that help various causes.
Here are my top 5 annual Greater Binghamton summer events.
- Spiedie Fest and Balloon Rally: Over 30 years of great memories that started at a little park along the Chenango River with a few thousand people and a Spiedie cooking contest, Today we have major entertainment, hot air balloon launches, tons of activities, and thousands that attend ,with the proceeds to help Catholic Charites and other local organizations.
- YMCA Corporate Challenge: The annual event is held towards the beginning of summer and features over 50 local companies with over 1000 participants competing in 4 events that promote team spirit and raise money for the many local programs and services provided by our Broome County YMCA.
- Chris Thater Memorial Race: The race started in 1984 to honor Chris Thater a young bicycle enthusiast who was killed by a drunk driver in 1983. The race is help each year through the Broome County Stop DWI Program to raise funds for public awareness of substance abuse and traffic safety, in it’s over 30 years the event has drawn over 1000 participants, many with a professional status in the cycling world, along with thousands of spectators.
- Binghamton July Fest: This year will celebrate the 55th year this event has been held in downtown Binghamton. The three day festival includes many art displays from area artists, antique cars, childrens activities, a 5K run, and the addition of the Jazz Festival with free concerts throughout the weekend.
- Highland Park July 4th Extravaganza: The 4th of July event in Greater Binghamton which draws a crowd of 100.000 in and around Highland Park, considered one of the best fireworks displays in southern New York, the event is surrounded by a day of fun, food, and entertainment at Highland Park in Endwell. Many gather at homes located near the park and have their own celebration while enjoying the spectacular display over in the night sky.
There are many activities in our community to enjoy all summer so make some plans to get out of the house and embrace a few.
[via Spiedie Fest Website]
[via July Fest Website]