Spinach Salad With Warm Bacon Salad Dressing [RECIPE]
I went to the farmers market today and picked up a bunch of spinach because I wanted to make my favorite warm bacon dressing and needed a spinach salad to toss it with. You know how much I love my bacon.
Here’s what you’ll need for the salad:
- Spinach with the ends trimmed off. If you’re making for a large number of people, I’d go with about a pound of spinach, but if it’s just for a few people about 8 ounces will do.
- 1 small red onion, sliced thinly.
- 1 container of pre-sliced white mushrooms
- 3-5 hard boiled eggs, sliced
Now, here’s what you’ll need for the warm bacon dressing:
- 1 package of bacon
- 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 a teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt and pinch of pepper
- Remove the stems from the spinach and wash. Pat dry. Place in big bowl
- To the bowl, add the mushrooms, onions and eggs. Toss lightly
- If you want to kick the salad up a notch, toss in a few leaves of fresh basil.
- Pan cook bacon. Drain, reserving the bacon fat. Place the bacon on a paper towel to soak up the extra fat. Once the extra fat is soaked into a paper towel, crumble the bacon and add to the salad mixture in the bowl.
- In a small saucepan add all the ingredients for the dressing from the list above PLUS 3 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat. Whisk together and heat on low heat until bubbling.
Plate salad and spoon warm bacon dressing over the top. So delicious! If you want to make a whole meal out of this, I suggest adding some cooked chicken. I didn’t have time to marinate meat today so picked up a package of pre-marinated garlic and fennel chicken breasts from Wegmans and the garlic and fennel actually worked really well with the salad and bacon dressing.