Another Quick Winter Check
The snow and bitter cold will be back at any time, so take advantage of the warmer temps over the next few days and make sure you’re home is ready for winter. If you haven’t prepared for the sting of winter, here are a few things you may want to do while you still can.
- Garden Hoses and Outside Faucets: Make sure your hoses and any outside faucets are drained.
- Winter Essentials: Make sure you have ice melt, shovels, ice scrapers, including the one you need in your car, start your snow blower and make sure its running and in good shape for the winter.
- Winterize Your Lawn Mowers: make sure any unused gas is drained or apply fuel stabilizer to preserve your engine, making sure that you put some stabilized gas in your tank and run it for a few minutes with the stabilizer circulating through your mower engine.
- Checking Your Heating System. The core of your home during winter is your heating system, make sure that it is working and in good shape, if you haven’t had it serviced in a while it might be a good idea to call a trained service person for a tune up.
- Check Fireplace; make sure your chimney is clean and in good shape, it’s always a good idea to have a certified chimney inspector take a look at your set up, it could save your life.
- Home Spot Checks: Making sure your home is well-sealed will help you save heating costs, so its a good idea to go around,your house and look at your windows to make sure they are sealed, silicone caulk will help keep the heat in and the cold air out, if you have a latter or a pair of binoculars, look at your roof to make sure there are no missing, loose or damaged shingles, and check out your gutters to make sure they are free of leaves and debris.