Make Your Own Kentucky Derby Mint Julep [RECIPE]
The Kentucky Derby is scheduled for 6:34 p.m. but the race doesn't start until 12 minutes later at 6:46 p.m. and you can watch it on NBC 5. This will give you plenty time to make it before the race begins.
It consists of bourbon, sugar syrup and mint. If you have it at the track, it comes in a souvenir glass available with all previous winners printed on the cup. Here's the recipe:
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 16 oz Maker’s Mark bourbon
- 2 per mint julep
- Crushed ice
- 10 sprigs fresh mint
- 8 mint julep glasses
- Combine the water and sugar in a pot and bring to a boil to make simple syrup. Boil for about 5 minutes.
- Cool and place in a covered container with 2 sprigs of fresh mine and refrigerate overnight.
- To make your Mint Julep, start by filling each Mint Julep glass with crushed ice.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the mint flavored simple syrup then 2 oz. of Maker's Mark Bourbon.
- Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost the outside of the glass (Or grab a frosted mug out of the frig.)
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint (or just say "Sprig It" and skip it.) It serves 6-8...If they only want one. You may want to double (or Triple Crown) it, so that you have enough for all the festivities.
Sip and enjoy...or gulp and enjoy faster! Then when you're horse doesn't win, grab a taco and down a Margarita and celebrate in another way.
[via Kentucky Derby]