‘Hurricane Sandy’ Last Minute Tips
As I write this, President Obama is discussing Hurricane Sandy and urging all those in the path of the Hurricane to be prepared.
Everyone I talk with today seems to be very well prepared for what is coming our way from Hurricane Sandy. With the unknown, it is impossible to prepare for everything. There are always a few things you don't think of. And without electricity, every day things you take for granted may not be functioning when you wake up tomorrow.
Fema.com has a few more tips that may not have been covered by others. They include:
- Get some extra cash out at the ATM today. If the power goes out, banks/ATMs may be offline for some time.
- Make a plan for how you’ll keep your cell phone charged if you lose power for several days. Picking up a solar or hand-crank charger for your phone is a good idea.
- Take steps to protect your home/business from high winds – cover windows, clean gutters, trim trees.
- Get to the store today for emergency supplies such as water, nonperishable food, batteries, flashlight, etc.
- Make sure you have what you need in case the power goes out and cold weather moves in. Double check that you have a safe, warm place you can go, blankets in your home/car, and winter items like snow shovels and rock salt.
- Employers: make sure your employees are prepared and review your continuity and tele-work plans.
Please be safe. We'll get through this. We always do.