How To Know You’re Getting Older
I have no idea how women my age do it. Survive having babies that is. And I don’t mean the birthing part, I mean the diaper changing, feeding, getting up in the middle of the night and carrying around all day part.
My nephew Oliver was only here for 3 days, but taking care of him has left me exhausted and it’s a slap in the face reminder that I’m not a spring chicken anymore. My arms ache from carrying him around and it’s been 3 days since he left. Would I trade my time with him? Not for anything in the world, but man am I sore! I guess this is why most women have kids when they’re younger and their bodies aren’t as creaky.
In my house the joke is that if something is missing, look in the freezer. That’s where everything ends up and I don’t know why. Have you ever walked into a room to get something and as soon as you crossed the doorway you completely forgot what you went in for? Yep- me too. Signs we’re getting older my friend!
This morning, Glenn and I are talking about things that started happening to you that clued you in on the fact you’re getting older. For me, it’s the sheer exhaustion of taking care of a baby and also that whenever I bend down, my knees crack. For Glenn, it’s when he reaches for something in the shower and pulls a muscle and ends up walking like a little old man for the rest of the day.
A new survey asked people to name the signs that you’re getting old and here are the top 15:
- Feeling stiff
- Groaning when you bend down
- Saying “it wasn’t like this when I was young.”
- Saying (as Glenn does ALL the time) “back in the day”
- Losing your hair
- Not recognizing any songs in the Top 10
- Hairy ears, bushy eyebrows and extra nose and facial hair
- Hating noisy bars and restaurants
- Talking a lot about your joints or day to day aches and pains
- Forgetting people’s names
- Choosing clothes and shoes for comfort rather than style
- Thinking cops, doctors and teachers look young
- Falling asleep in front of the TV
- Needing an afternoon nap
- Finding you have no idea what young people are talking about
Take a listen to some of the hilarious ways HAWK listeners say they knew they were getting older:
What happened that clued you in that you’re getting older?