How to Know when you Need a New Mattress
When you wake up in the morning, does your back hurt? Do you feel exhausted? Do you have kinks in your neck or mini headaches? It might be your mattress. It was for me and that’s why I broke down this weekend and bought a new mattress and box springs. I’m a penny pincher, so it was tough for me to reach the point of defeat but it had to be done and I’m so glad I did. I slept like a baby last night and for the first time in a very long time woke up with no pain in my back or neck.
According to ehow, here’s how to know if it’s time to buy a new mattress:
- Mattress last about 8-10 years and if your mattress is already that old, it’s time to go shopping. Although yours may have a 15-20 year old warranty, it is for the material not for the support. Also, we get accustom to our mattress over time and it may not be that apparent that it’s time to get a new mattress. A new mattress can reduce discomforts such as shoulder and back pain, stiffness, and increase the quality of your sleep.
- Is your mattress sagging? If you normally sleep on one side, then lay in the middle and see if it’s higher there than on either side.
- Are you sleeping worse than you were a year ago? If you find that last winter you were not waking up with the sheets wrapped around your legs it’s probably because you are tossing and turning more.
- When you roll around in your bed, do you hear it creaking or does the bed sway? The wood in the box spring could be losing its support.
- If you sleep with someone, is it higher in the middle and the sides? You may have indentations in your mattress that are not springing back.
Mattress shopping can be scary because you’re putting out a lot of money, but in the end if you end up with years of good sleeps, isn’t it worth it? My advice is to shop around. I’ve found that bed frames are bed frames and it doesn’t matter if you buy the expensive or the cheap. Either does the trick. As for mattresses, I’ve found the prices at Sam’s Club are pretty awesome. Of course, you’ll need a membership (or a friend who has one), but they carry the top name brands at a fraction of the price. I picked up a full size Serta mattress and box springs and a universal frame (universal means you can adjust it to twin, full, queen, king or California king) at Sam’s for under $500. Not too bad, huh?