As temperatures continue to swing into the very cold range, residents are being warned again to exercise caution in heating their homes.

Kathy Whyte/ WNBF News

A homeowner reportedly put out a fire at a house on Woodside Avenue in Conklin January 27 using snow when coals from a pellet stove ignited while the unit was being cleaned out.

Firefighters say the quick thinking kept the damage minimal to the outside of the house and there were no injuries.

With cold weather, residents are again reminded to properly dispose of coals and ash from wood stoves and fireplaces, never leave fires unattended, make sure all heating sources, including space heaters are well away from flammable items including rugs, never leave electric or fueled space heaters unattended and never heat a home using the kitchen stove or oven.