Five Things You Should NEVER Throw In The Trash
We all know the importance of recycling. I've even spoke about it in past posts about Binghamton Blue Bag initiative. Our landfills are filling up when nearly 70% of what we disgard could be recycled. There are some things that we should never throw in the trash, according to Eco Village Green.
1. CFL light bulbs. They contain mercury! You absolutley should use these bulb as they save a ton of energy but you also need to recycle them. Home Depot has a CFL recycling program for your old CFL bulbs. CFL's last a long time , so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
2. Lithium-ion batteries. Not the regular batteries but were talking the rechargable ones. The chemicals in them can permeate our soil and water. Best Buy collects and recycles them. Plus Best buy is really to fun to walk around and window shop.
3. Any Electronics. Your old VCR or DVD Player, TV, Stereos, Speakers, and Cellphones. All of which contain capacitors, diodes, and poisonous chemicals. We have places locally to recycle electronics:
200 Stage Road, Vestal, NY 13850 (607) 321-2961
5 Alice Street, Binghamton, NY 13901 (607) 760-7377
Mobile phones can often be taken back by your cell phone provider and you'll get money towards a new phone or accessories!
4. Auto mobile fluids. Antifreeze, wiper fluid, engine oil, or anything goes in your car is toxic. You can recycle these At your auto parts store or oil change facility. Just ask!
5. Paint. Varnishes, stains, and paints. All of these should go to Broome County's Hazardous Waste Facility
286 Knapp Road
Binghamton, NY 13902
Collection Dates & Hours
Hours are: 7:30am to 11:30am
2013 Collection Dates
Jan. 9 & 19
Feb. 6 & 16
Mar. 6 & 16
Apr. 3, 6 & 20
May 1, 4 & 18
June 1, 5 & 15
July 3, 13 & 27
Aug. 7, 10 & 24
Sept. 4, 7 & 21
Oct. 2, 5 & 19
Nov. 2, 6 & 16
Dec. 4 & 14
Just think before you mindlessly toss something in the garbage can!