Fire Rips Through Local Couple’s Home While Husband Receives Cancer Treatment
I've never understood why troubles seem to lump together for those who are already down. For the second time in less than 10 years a local family has been displaced from their home due to fire, but this time it came while the husband was receiving a cancer treatment.
A little after 9am on Thursday, firefighters were called to the home of Roy and Vivian Mudge in the Town of Norwich where they believe a desktop computer was the cause of a fire that ripped through the couple's home.
Roy and Vivian's daughter Virginia Delong told WBNG that her parents were at a hospital in Cooperstown when they got the call that their house was on fire. They were at the hospital so that Roy could receive a cancer treatment.
Virginia says this is the second time her parents have been forced out of their home due to fire with the first time in the early 2000's.
I'm told the American Red Cross is helping the couple, but wonder if anyone knows of a planned fundraiser or location where people can drop off donations. I can't imagine losing my home, but to be hit this hard while receiving cancer treatments is just even more of a blow. I'd love to know how to help this family and spread the word to others interested in happening, so if you know of anything, please send an email to me here.