Fire Damages Single-Family Home in Westover
Johnson City firefighters coped with near-zero temperatures and high winds as they battled a blaze in a Westover house.
Authorities said the fire at 41 Avon Street was reported around 9:20 p.m. Thursday. Residents in the home were alerted by smoke detectors.
When firefighters arrived, the house was filling with smoke. Fire marshal Paul Hlebica said the blaze broke out behind a brick fireplace on the first floor of the one-family house. No injuries were reported.
The fire was brought under control within ten minutes. Firefighters worked at the scene and some remained until early morning to monitor the structure for possible flare-ups.
Investigators believe the fire was accidental, probably linked to a defective fireplace.
The property on Avon Street in the town of Union is located just west of the former BAE Systems Westover plant.
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.