Hearty Crock-Pot Beef Stew [RECIPE]
My downfall in my food life is my love of stews. There it is, I finally did it- I shared my foodie secret. Maybe it’s the Irish in me? Either way, that’s what we’re going to go with!
The weather has been perfect for making stew and so, I made a big batch in my Crock-Pot last night. I was planning to have it for lunch today with my husband and so it was set to cook through the night. When I got up this morning, the smell was too much for me to resist, and so I snuck a taste. And then, I pulled out a bowl and had some for breakfast because I clearly have no self-control when it comes to stew.
If you’re looking for a simple stew recipe that you can pop into the Crock-Pot before your day starts and forget about until you get home from work, this is definitely for you! I adapted this recipe from All Recipes.
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- A handful of fresh rosemary and thyme, chopped. Or just use a dash of dried herbs if you don’t have fresh herbs.
- Splash of red cooking wine (optional, but trust me when I tell you that it enhances the flavor)
Place meat in slow cooker. In a small bowl mix together the flour, salt, and pepper; pour over meat, and stir to coat meat with flour mixture. Stir in the garlic, bay leaf, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, onion, beef broth, potatoes, carrots, and celery.
Cover, and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours, or on high for 4 to 6 hours.
[via All Recipes]