City officials are planning to consult with energy experts to consider what should be done with an electricity generating facility in Binghamton's First Ward.

During a special meeting last Friday, city council voted to accept a donation of the plant from the California-based company that's operated the facility over the past three years.

Wellhead Electric Company plans to shut down the plant in a few days. A Wellhead executive said the firm wound up losing millions of dollars on the venture. The facility was operated only at times of peak electricity demand.

Mayor Richard David said the city already has been hearing from people interested in working to help determine the future plans for the Charles Street site.

Speaking on WNBF Radio's Binghamton Now program on Tuesday, the mayor said he had been approached by energy companies, consultants and "all sorts of individuals who are eager to work with the city."

David said there are "many different scenarios or directions that we can go on this."

The mayor said he believes the plant will remain in operation until January 8. He said revenue generated by the facility's operations during the current cold snap will go to the city, Broome County and the Binghamton City School District.

David said council acted on the final business day of 2017 because Wellhead "wanted the transaction to be complete prior to the end of the year for tax deduction purposes."

A Wellhead Electric representative could not be reached for comment on the property donation or the schedule to wind down plant operations.

The mayor said the company plans to remove some of the equipment from the site after it closes the facility.

For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.