5 Things You Should Do When You Move Your Clock Back
It's almost time to "fall back" one hour as Dayllight Saving time officially ends Sunday at 1:59am. The good news is you get an extra hour of sleep. Good for you, your family and your pets. Make your clock changes before you hit your pillow Saturday night.
When you move your clock back one hour this weekend, it may not be a bad idea to do some other things to prepare for the season and months ahead.
- Replace the batteries in your Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Detector. I have noticed that many Binghamton area drug stores and department stores are having sales on batteries this week, with some even doing buy one get one free. If you do nothing more on my list, please try to do this important task.
- Schedule a furnace and chimney inspection. Like it or not, you'll be spending more time indoors. This is an important safety check.
- Switch the direction of your ceiling fan. I used to have to call my favorite hardware store in Binghamton to ask them which way to do this. With the fall, you want to make the switch so that the paddle direction is going clockwise as this will distribute the heat off the ceiling and in to the room so you can get as much heat as possible, and save on your utility bill.
- Water. It's a good idea to drain one quart of water quarterly. Check your owner's manual for proper directions. Also, turn off the water valve on your outside water and bring the outside garden hoses inside.
- Flip your mattress. Freshen up your mattress by rotating or flipping your mattress, if you don't already do this on a regular basis. You'll find it will feel better on your body and prolong the life of your mattress.
[via Premeditated Leftovers]