5 Golfing Facts You May Not Know
As of this posting, weather in the Greater Binghamton is looking awesome going straight through this weekend, which also happens to be the World's Largest Yard Sale in Whitney Point. So I was thinking, there may be some opportunity to hit the greens in the coming days or even weeks.
Here are some facts that I stumped some of my golfing buddies with over the weekend.
1. The word “caddy” comes from the French word for student, “cadet”, which is pronounced cad-DAY
2. The chances of making two holes-in-one in a round of golf are one in 67 million
3. The term “birdie” comes from an American named Ab Smith. While playing a round in 1899, he played what he described as a “bird of a shot”, which became “birdie” over time.
4. The world’s first ever golf tournament for women was held on New Year’s Day in 1811 at Musselburgh
5. The largest bunker in the world is Hell’s Half Acre on the 585-yard 7th hole of the Pine Valley Course in New Jersey
If you're thinking about hitting the greens this weekend, consider the HAWK Clubhouse Card and you can save some big money and enjoy some of the area's most popular courses at substantial savings. The popular Clubhouse Card is on sale now in the HAWK's Seize The Deal Store.