47th CMA Awards: Winners List and Highlights
The awards were spread out pretty evenly at last night’s CMA’s, but when it was all said and done, it was a night that belonged to George Strait. George won the coveted Entertainer of the Year award.
Husband and wife team Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert picked up the awards for top male and top female artist. Blake also won the award for Album of the Year for his album “Based On A True Story” while best New Artist went to Kacey Musgraves.
If you were expecting a big night for Florida Georgia Line, you won’t be disappointed because they won for Duo of the Year and the song “Cruise” won for Single of the year.
Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood didn’t disappoint as hosts. The opening monologue made fun of all the country star riffs this year and somehow it worked because they managed to get Luke Bryan and Zac Brown to hug.
Brad and Carrie also took a shot at Obamacare:
Song of the Year went to Lee Brice’s “I Drive Your Truck.” And Eric Church had nothing to worry about because there weren’t mosh pits or cans thrown at him during his performance of “The Outsiders.” Just a standing ovation.
Zac Brown teamed up with Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters to introduce a new song called "Day For the Dead" which got a ton of hype before the show. I thought it was so, so- kind of messy sounding. Take a listen for yourself:
Alan Jackson and George Strait nailed the tribute to the late George Jones by performing a heart wrenching version of “He Stopped Loving Her Today.”
I missed Taylor Swift’s acoustic version of “Red” with Alison Krauss and Vince Gill, but the video is incredibly impressive:
Here's your complete list of winners:
• Entertainer of the Year: George Strait
• Male Vocalist of the Year: Blake Shelton
• Female Vocalist of the Year: Miranda Lambert
• Vocal Duo of the Year: Florida Georgia Line
• Vocal Group of the Year: Little Big Town
• New Artist of the Year: Kacey Musgraves
• Album of the Year: "Based On A True Story", Blake Shelton
• Song of the Year: "I Drive Your Truck", Lee Brice.
• Single of the Year: "Cruise", Florida Georgia Line
• Musical Event of the Year: "Highway Don't Care", Tim McGraw w/ Taylor Swift & Keith Urban
• Music Video of the Year: "Highway Don't Care", Tim McGraw w/ Taylor Swift & Keith Urban