10 Things Happening in Binghamton
Memorial Day Weekend has become the most important day of recognition of our armed forces. It’s a day we remember and honor our country's heroes who have made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of our nation.
- Memorial Day, Monday, May 29, many homes and businesses along the parade route will be decorated with American flags and red, white and blue flowers to honor veterans and active service personnel who have served or have given their lives. Several activities -including four memorial services and a parade- will take place in Oxford beginning at 8 a.m. The Oxford American Legion’s Fort Hill Post will begin the day at 8 a.m. with the wreath laying ceremony and rifle salute at St. Joseph’s Catholic Cemetery on West State Street.
- American Legion Post 758 is sponsoring a Memorial Day Parade, May 29th beginning at 10a.m. at Your Home Library, Johnson City.
- The Broome County Parade Committee’s Memorial Day Parade is May 29th at 2pm beginning at American Legion Post 80, 76 Main Street. Ceremony to follow at 3pm at the Courthouse.
- The Phelps Mansion Museum will be conducting tours throughout Memorial Day weekend, Friday 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Saturday 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Sunday 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Price is $5.00 for 13 and up. Free for 12 and younger. Tickets can be purchased online at www.phelpsmansion.org. The last tour will start at 4:30 p.m. For group tours please call the Museum at 607-722-4873 for further information.
- The Artimus Pyle Band a true and proper tribute to Lynyrd Skynyrd, will be performing two shows at Tioga Downs Casino in Nichols, NY Friday May 26th at 7pm and 9pm, tickets available at Tioga Downs box office, must be at least 21 to attend
- Tonya King was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident on May 30, 2016. This ride is to celebrate Tonya’s life. The ride will begin at Hickories Park on State Route 17C in Owego, NY. The ride will begin with the husband of Tonya (and member of the Punisher’s LEMC PANYC Chapter) placing a rose at the accident site. Sponsored by Punisher’s LEMC PANYC Chapter. Proceeds will be donated to the Campville Fire Department, who assisted at the scene of the accident. $15 per bike,$5 per rider. Registration will begin at 11 AM until 12:30 PM. Kick stands up at 1 PM
- The United Way of Broome County is collecting new books for children ages kindergarten through 5th grade beginning June 1st through June 21st to promote summer reading. For more information and drop-off locations visit u w broome dot org.
- The Broome County Public Library hosts a memoir writing class June 1st beginning at 6pm, and a Book Club discussion of Malcolm Gladwell’s “Ouliers” also June 1st at 6pm. For more information or to register call 778-6451.
- Registration is open for Chenango Valley Central School District’s Pre-Kindergarten program. Call 762-6975 for an application.
- There is a free Chenango County Rabies Clinic, June 1st beginning at 5:30pm at the North Norwich Firehouse, Route 12, Norwich.